NGOs demand transparency and participation in the appointment process of the Auditor General of the Office of Administrative Investigations and Public Ethics.
“Below, we offer a google translate version of the original article in Spanish. This translation may not be accurate but serves as a general presentation of the article. For more accurate information, please switch to the Spanish version of the website. In addition, feel free to directly contact in English the person mentioned at the bottom of this article with regards to this topic”.
The undersigned request an open and participatory process that guarantees the appointment of a candidate with accredited background, suitability and independence to occupy the position of head auditor of the Office of Administrative Investigations and Public Ethics of the Province of Mendoza, created by Law No. 8993 .
The office is a fundamental organ for the supervision of the correct acting in the public function, for the control of the presentation of sworn statements, as well as an indispensable institution to guarantee transparency in all areas of the State. Moreover, this office will ensure transparency in the actions of politicians, trade unionists and State contractors. To this, it must be added that if the Chamber of Deputies approves the Bill on Access to Public Information, which already has a half sanction, this office will also be responsible for its implementation and compliance.
Therefore, we consider that the appointment should be made on the basis of the characteristics required by the function of own control of the position: independence of those to whom it must control and technical suitability.
Although the law does not foresee this, this would be facilitated if a participatory, open and transparent procedure was established so that whoever is selected is the best possible candidate.
In order to guarantee the performance of a procedure of these characteristics, a series of actions are proposed that are detailed below.
- Instance of citizen participation to present proposals for candidates to occupy the position. Enable an instance of participation in which citizens can submit candidates not considered by the Executive Power, which are part of the selection process. This will allow to discuss and analyze the applications in a reasoned manner, ensuring that the designated person is the most suitable to occupy the position.
- Transparency of candidacies. Make public the candidacies, making information available to citizens about the profiles and background of each of the candidates.
- Instance prior to the public hearing to present observations and challenges to the candidacies. Instance that allows the formulation of questions to the candidates, as well as observations and challenges to their application.
- Response by the candidates to the observations, challenges and questions asked in the previous stage, being able to attach evidence or additional information.
- Selection of the candidate to be proposed by the Executive, based on the election of the candidate over the rest of the candidates.
- Public Hearing: Conducting a Public Hearing in compliance with the provisions of the Regulation of the Chamber of Senators for public hearings, making available to civil society the information provided in article 33 and other relevant provisions.
- Treatment in the Senate to approve or not the candidate.
The success of the institutionalization of an organ such as that created by the law depends to a large extent on its first occupant. Only with independence and suitability, can guarantee the main objective provided by the law “to regulate the rules of conduct that should govern in the exercise of public function for its responsible, honest, fair, dignified and transparent performance by those who hold the obligation to develop it, in any of the hierarchies, forms or places where they exercise it “(Article 1, Provincial Law No. 8993).
Adhere to the note
- Fundación NUESTRA MENDOZA
Centro Latinoamericano de Derechos Humanos (CLADH)
Federación de Entidades no Gubernamentales de Niñez y Adolescencia de Mendoza (FEDEM)
Asociación de Cooperativas Vitivinícolas Argentinas (ACOVI)
Asociación Mendocina de Expendedores de Naftas y Afines (AMENA)
INTEGRAR Centro de Estudios y Desarrollo de Políticas Públicas
Asociación Civil VALOS
Fundación PODER CIUDADANO
Fundación para el Desarrollo de Políticas Sustentables (FUNDEPS)
Asociación Civil por la Igualdad y la Justicia (ACIJ)